Sunday, July 1, 2012

Breast Cancer Updates

This week we found out a lot more info, which in a way is good, but also bad. The good news is that I'm not left completely in the dark. I kind of sorta know what I'm facing... sorta. 

Earlier this week, I had an MRI, which I might add was the worst experience ever. Anyone that knows me well, knows that I nearly pass out at the sight of a needle piercing the skin. The doctor ordered contrast with this MRI, so they had to inject me with some type of fluid that will show up on the MRI. I warned the nurse before she attempted to insert the IV that I get lightheaded and dizzy when I get poked. She let me lie down and close my eyes. She then proceeded to poking my vein on my left hand. Three minutes pass (felt like an eternity) and she tells me that my vein collapsed and won't take the IV. She then proceeds to my arm crease (what is that thing called anyways??) and tries for that vein. Another three minutes pass and same thing! "Sorry sweetie, your veins aren't taking the IV. You must be dehydrated". She then tries 2 more veins and then says that we may need to reschedule. By now I was about to throw up right before I wanted to pass out, but I asked if we could try one more time. I didn't want to have to come back and experience it all over again. I immediately closed my eyes and said a quick yet sincere prayer pleading for it to work this last time. A minute passes and she tells me, "wow, it worked". I was RELIEVED to say the least and immediately thanked my heavenly father for such an immediate answer. That little experience was so small, yet big in my mind and it really showed me how heavenly father is mindful of me and truly cares about me. He knows exactly what he is doing. I just need to let him take the wheel and trust him entirely. 

I met with my oncologist on Friday and she discussed the results from my MRI. Unfortunately I have multiple masses in the same breast and it has also spread into the lymph nodes. She is ordering a biopsy on the lymph nodes just to confirm though. We are still anxiously waiting for the results from the BRACC1 and 2 test. This test will determine if I have a mutated gene that causes women to get breast and ovarian cancer. If it comes back positive, they are going to recommend I remove both breasts along with both ovaries. We are hoping and praying that this test comes back negative, but I know without a doubt that whatever happens, I will still be here alive, and that's the most important thing. With all the results we have so far, we are looking at a mastectomy and chemotherapy, and that's looking like the best case scenario. 

Earlier this week, I called to schedule an appointment with the fertility doctor to discuss my options before chemotherapy since chemotherapy can cause you to become infertile. They said they didn't have any openings until late July. I told them that wasn't going to work and proceeded to tell them my story and they said they would get back to me to see if they can fit me in. They got me in for an appointment a couple days later. We went to this appointment feeling like this wasn't going to work because when I told my oncologist she explained that since my cancer is hormone drive, it's very risky to inject hormones into my body which is what they do to harvest eggs. She said it can cause the cancer to rapidly spread. She told me to go to my appointment anyways and to ask the doctor to call her. We went to the appointment and she explained everything and said that there's actually a way to do it without hormones. I was so relieved and happy to hear that. I also mentioned to her that I have PCOS, and she said that may be a blessing in disguise because that means I may have a lot of eggs ready to harvest. She then proceeded to ask me about my cycle and when my next one is. I told her I just started yesterday. She was thrilled to hear this and explained that normally they start giving me the medicine to start the process on the 3rd day, meaning tomorrow will be that day! Can you believe how miraculous this timing is!?!?! If I hadn't gotten in as fast as I did, it would have been to late and we would have had to wait for another month to even start this, which would delay chemotherapy and would conflict with my other doctors. This appointment confirmed to me that timing is everything and everything has happened this way for a purpose. So we are going to freeze embryo's so that we can be prepared just in case chemotherapy causes me to lose my period for good. This route is extremely expensive and not covered by insurance, but I know for a fact that I have my future children just waiting to come to this earth, so Tanner and I want to do everything in our power to prepare a way for their arrival. 

Today was fast and testimony meeting and my entire ward graciously fasted for me. I was able to bear my testimony. It's been way too long and even though I was a teary faced wreck, it felt soooooooo good. The love from my ward family is overwhelming and I am so grateful that I am a part of it. My Dad also bore his testimony and it was so sweet to hear the words he spoke. He spoke of the importance of families in the Lord's plan and how much he loves his family. He concluded with a story from his mission. He served in Mississippi and there was a couple with a sweet little girl named Chandra. From that moment on he knew he wanted a family and he wanted a little girl named Chandra. A few years later he was blessed with a little girl and he named her Chandra. I couldn't stop crying. It was so sweet. I love my Dad so much.

So upcoming events, I have my second opinion with a doctor at Banner MD Anderson on Tuesday, we will be finding out the results about the BRACC test early this week, I will schedule my biopsy of the lymph nodes, and then I meet again with my oncologist in a week and a half. By then I will have already harvested my eggs if all goes as planned. Also hoping to get the PET scan approved by my insurance in the next week. They've already denied it 3 times (appealed twice), so my doctor is asking my other doctor to order it. 

Also, if you haven't heard, my sweet cousins along with lots of other family members are organizing a Bake Sale to help with the costs of my treatment, which will also help with high costs of the infertility treatment. It's on the 4th of July at my parents house from 8:00-10:00am. You can purchase tons of food and goodies for your 4th of July party along with lots of other stuff being sold. I feel so humbled to have so much love and service from everyone. 

Despite all that's going on, I'm trying my best to keep my head on straight and focus on one word: FAITH. Today in church, one of the teachers mentioned that the opposite of Fear is Faith. I know I've heard that before, but it really struck me and I know that if I have complete faith in God and his plan, that I won't fear. Faith is everything. 

Thanks again for the continued prayers in my behalf.  I will try to keep you all updated through this unforgettable journey of mine. 

3 sweet words:

Garth & Ashley Pedersen said...

I just wanted to say how amazing you are. I have been in awe at how strong your testimony & outlook on the trials you've had not only now, but in the past. I wish I knew you better. Continue in the Faith & God will take care. I wish you the best.

Lecia said...

I found your blog because of a fundraiser message sent out on my neighborhood email. Your family is beautiful and your faith is strong. Wishing you the very best!

barbafamily said...

Chandra, your strength and faith amaze me. You are so wonderful! You have such an awesome testimony! I know Heavenly Father loves you and is SO aware of you and your experiences thus far just prove how much aware of you he is! I'm so glad you are harvesting your eggs - that is wonderful! We will continue to pray for you. Wishing you all the best. Love you!