Saturday, June 16, 2018

First Descents Trip // Leavenworth Washington

My cousin sent me a link last year to a foundation called First Descents. It was a trip where you go on a high adventure trip with other cancer survivors. It sounded fun, but it was an entire week and I wasn't sure about going with strangers for an entire week. I dismissed it, and then earlier this year I thought, I need to face my fears and do hard things. It was one of the best things I've done for myself. These people were amazing and I got out of my comfort zone and met tons of new friends. The week consisted of rock climbing, delicious food made my our personal chefs, yoga, games, bonding, hiking, shopping,  laughing, crying, pondering, and a lot of memory making. This trip was so good for my soul and it was so inspiring to hear everyone elses stories of their battle with cancer. Every night we would come around the fake "campfire" and we would start out with shoutouts. They would leave the floor open to thank or give a shoutout to anyone. It was such a positive space to be in. Then after that they would have announcements for the following day and then they would pose a question for us to think about. They would leave the floor open to anyone that wanted to answer it. It was similar to testimony meeting style. We laughed, we cried, we loved. We shared such special things with eachother and it bonded us so much, knowing everyone has gone through similar things we have. Then afterwards, usually the night owls would stay up and play games. It was so much fun. 

This trip was amazing and will be close to my heart for a lifetime. I am so grateful for this amazing experience and for the unique friendships I was able to create. I will never forget these people and this week. I came home with a refreshed view on my life and what's really important. One of the rules the had in the house was no phones in public hangout spaces. They would encourage you to go in your room or somewhere outside to take calls, but they also encouraged no be device free as much as possible. It was the beginning of my fasting journey. I stayed off social media that whole week and then when I got home, the Prophet challenged the Young Women to do a 2 week fast, so when I got home, I continued fasting. It was so good for the soul. Made me realize how much social media doesn't need to be a priority in my life and suck so much of my time. Since then I've been learning to have a balance. I go through phases where I'm on it more than other times, but I'm finding a healthy balance and it's so refreshing. I'm grateful for the experiences that guided me in that direction.

I finally got home to my sweethearts and it was sooooooooo good to embrace them. Time away really makes you appreciate your loved ones even more. I came home to a spotless house and a welcome home sign. I couldn't ask for a better welcome home. Counting my blessings.

0 sweet words: