Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Over Before You Know It // Deliteful Thoughts

The other night Kaydence had so much energy at bedtime, which happens often at night. She's quite the little night owl. I was so tired from a long day at work and just needed to lay in my bed. Kaydence was at the end of my bed on the ground asking me if I wanted to play a game with her. I told her I'm so tired and I need to go to sleep. She said "it will be really quick. Let's pretend I'm a dog and you bought me online and I showed up on your doorstep". I again told her how I'm so tired and I just need rest. The next response she told me hit me like a ton of brick. She responded, "Mom... it will be over before you know it".  I got chills all over my body and I know the way I interpreted it wasn't what Kaydence was meaning but it really hit me hard. 

It's so true, It will be over before I know it.  It really seems like every time I blink Kaydence is another year older. I wanted to cry thinking of how fast she is growing up and I don't want to miss a minute! I know I'll have regrets as a parent when I look back. There's no perfect Mom or parent and we all will have regrets, but I don't want to ever look back and think that I should have spent more QUALITY time with my sweetheart. 

It's so hard as a working Mom. I want to feel like I am giving as much time as I can to her but the whole working thing is guilting me in the back of my mind. My goal as a parent is to give as much quality time I can to her and give her my full attention.  I'm not talking about time where I take her to the park and I sit on my phone the whole time while she plays or we watch a movie together. I want to give her ALL of my time and energy and create a relationship where she feels safe and loved, patience and structure, trust and confidence, friendship and happiness. I want to make her feel like she's the most important person to me in the world. Playing dragons and princesses, having tea time in her princess tent, having a campout in the backyard in a tent, watching for shooting stars on the trampoline, laying under the tree finding pictures in the clouds, swinging on the swings together, painting each others nails, and yes even playing that I ordered a dog online and it showed up on my doorstep. My Mom did a great job making us kids feel this way. She would take turns taking us on "day outs" every Saturday and we would do such simple things, but the memories of feeling so important we will never forget. It was our one on one time with our Mom and those memories will stay with me forever. 

Kaydence reminded me of setting my priorities straight that night and I hope she can look back on her childhood and have many memories filled with wonder and love from her Mom, just like I had with my Mom. 

0 sweet words: