Thursday, March 31, 2016

Another Surgery // Blessing in Disguise

Today we finally got the pathology results back from surgery last week. We had some somewhat good news and not so good news. The good news is that it was only in 2 of the 11 lymph nodes, which was better than anticipated. The bad news is that there's another area around my original surgery incision that has cancer, but in reality may be a blessing in disguise.

Back in 2014, after the surgery, there was an area around the incision that built up scar tissue. Over the past 2 years, I haven't noticed it getting larger or changing at all, so I never thought twice about it. When I met my surgeon last week and discussed what surgery would entail, she asked me about that scar tissue area. I told her it hasn't changed and it's always been there since surgery. When she went in during surgery, she had a strong impression, just to biopsy it just in case, and to cover all bases. Thankfully she acted on that impression, which I know was a prompting from the Holy Ghost, no doubt. I've been praying every single day that the doctors in my care would be inspired to do anything and everything that needs to be done. She didn't tell me she did that until today because she didn't have the results back yet. Sure enough it came back positive. I am so grateful she did that! If she hadn't, we would have just continued with chemo and then would have assumed everything was fine, until months down the road and who knows, it may have already been spread to other parts of my body. Blessing in disguise! I feel so blessed that God has directed me and my doctors during my entire fight always allowing me to catch it before it has spread. 

I have surgery again tomorrow morning. They are going to remove all that tissue and my right implant, then put in another drain. I cannot have reconstructive surgery until at least a year of being cancer free, so it may be a while, but that is the least of my concerns. If I have one boob, I have one boob. At least I'll be alive and healthy and that's all that really matters. Through this whole process, one thing I think God has really wanted to help me learn is that looks aren't so important as the world makes them seem. Creating a beautiful person starts from the inside, and can reflect on the outside. I can still be beautiful without hair, without boobs, without makeup, etc. It's hard to get to the point where you really can feel that, but I am still learning and teaching myself. 

Please continue to pray for the doctors to continue to receive and act upon promptings that will allow me to have the best possible treatment specific for my body. I appreciate all the love and support I've felt, and continue to feel. I feel blessed and loved. Counting my blessings today and hugging my loved ones a little tighter!


0 sweet words: