We tried potty training Kaydence earlier this year and it just wasn't working. We decided to stop and start again in a few months. Our plans changed when I got diagnosed with breast cancer, and I wasn't planning on potty training her while I went through chemotherapy, so I thought I'd have to wait even longer until next year, but a few weeks ago she came to me and told me she wanted to potty on the toilet. She's NEVER done that. The whole first experience she didn't want to sit on the potty ever. So this was progress and I wanted to try since I am not working right now and I'm at home with her 24/7, so I thought it would be simple like everyone says in 3 days since she was wanting to do it. It was far from that again, but I am happy to say she's officially potty trained now after a long 2.5 weeks!
I'll start from the beginning. For the first 3 days she didn't go potty on the potty once. I used every trick in the book and even bribed her with a zoo trip, camping, a new fish, ice cream, and stickers. I was so frustrated and decided if she doesn't go on day 4 at least once, I'm giving up. It was draining the little energy that I have out of me. Day four, I set her on the potty and she says her classic words:
This was always her excuse. So I told her we will go make a smoothie and then we can try to go potty again after. We made our smoothies and went upstairs to bring Daddy his while he was working on uncle Dustin's room. Grandpa was up there and made a deal with her. If she went potty on the toilet she will get to go on a quad ride with Grandpa. She went downstairs and sure enough pushed hard enough and went potty! I was more excited than she was! She got her quad ride and a few more that day because she went a few times on the potty.
She also got her new fishy that we promised her, thanks to Aunt Rachel. She was so excited. I asked her what she wants to name it. She came up with "Blah".
I thought, wow, that sure was easy now that she gets it. I sure was wrong. The next couple days she started regressing. I was being 100% consistent and still giving her rides on the quad when she would go. It was very frustrating. I was to the point where I was going to give up again because we were going to be going camping the next day, but I talked myself into sticking it out again. I didn't want to lose all the hard work I've already put into it. The next day she went on the potty about 75% of the time, and on the camping trip she didn't have a single accident!!!! She even potty trained her pony!
Since then she's had maybe one or two accidents, but for the last 5 days she's been accident free. I feel like I'm out of prison. I'm so happy I didn't give up. She goes #1 and #2 all on her own. I don't even have to remind her. It's wonderful.





2 sweet words:
Yay! So glad everything worked out! Potty training is no fun! I am dreading the day that I have two kids to do at once!!! I'm planning on starting right after Christmas!
Me too! I'm go glad it's over. She's trained 100% too! Hasn't had an accident and she takes herself to the bathroom. I don't have to remind her. I love it!!!!! Good luck. From what I've heard, boys are easier, so hopefully you don't go through what I went through.
Post a Comment