Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Breast Cancer Round 2 - Updates - Results from Egg Retrieval and Starting Radiation

I had surgery for egg retrieval last Monday, March 21. Surgery was scheduled for 4:15AM, so we had to wake up super early to get there on time. The procedure went well and was pretty quick and I was home by 6:00AM. They told me they retrieved 22 eggs!!! I couldn't believe it. I was very excited. They prescribed me pain meds, but I've been through it twice before and I didn't even need them, so I thought I'd be fine. The pain started kicking in as the meds from the surgery wore off, so I started the pain meds. By about noon, I was in excruciating pain and could hardly move. We called the doctor and they wanted us to come in. Tanner came to help me to the car and I was almost in tears. Then I kept almost fainting and getting dizzy. Right then, my brother in law, Clint, showed up, so I asked both of them to give me a blessing. Afterwards, both of them had to pick me up to get me in the car. The drive seemed to never end. Each bump made me want to cry. Finally we arrived and they had a wheelchair waiting for me. They checked with an ultrasound and it hurt so bad. The people in the rooms next to me probably thought I was giving birth. They found that my ovary was very swollen. They also saw areas that I was bleeding inside, but luckily they said it was clotting, so it shouldn't be a problem. They said the pain should go away in the next 3-4 days. They then checked my blood pressure. It was beyond super low. They then took it another 2 times to see if it changes when I get up. As they were doing the last reading while I was standing, I started fainting again. She decided I needed to go into the ER to get checked out. We went to Scottsdale Hospital and they get me hooked up to an IV for fluids and pain. I ended up staying overnight and they finally discharged me the following afternoon. My pain had gone down a lot and I wasn't fainting anymore. Each day after that, I continued to progress, so by about Friday I was feeling more like myself. 

Monday I received the much anticipated call of how many embryos they were able to freeze. Combined with the last 2 rounds, I have a grand total of 9 good, 3 fair-good, and 3 fair!!!!! Before this round, I only had 1 good and 2 fair. I still cannot believe how many good embryos I have. I don't have to worry as much about my future children anymore. We have paved the way for the first step and I am so grateful we did. Thanks to all that helped donate to this cause. We are forever grateful for your love and sacrifice for the benefit of my future children. 

Tomorrow I start my first treatment of radiation. I went in for my practice run today and I've got marker drawings all over that are guidelines for the radiation technicians. I'm glad they don't tattoo anymore. These markers won't stay forever and they are protected with clear stickers so they stay longer. I will be doing 30 treatments, which will be Monday through Friday for 6 weeks. I am so happy this is the end of it and so grateful I do not have to do chemo again! After radiation is over I will be on tamoxifen for 10 years, but will take a break halfway through to have a baby (or two) :)

0 sweet words: