Yesterday was a very emotional day for me. Our family dog, Rascal, that we’ve had since I was 10 passed away. It makes it so much harder for me to get over because it was my fault. I decided to go home for lunch yesterday and on my way out I felt something and I get out of my car and he’s yelping and crying then fell to the ground and died within minutes. It was very traumatizing for me and to make things worse, I still had to go back to work afterward.
When his health started going downhill over the past year or so, I made a goal to never pass him on my way in the house without giving him some love, so I would pet him every single time. He got so excited every single time to see me come home because he knew he was getting a good long pet. Then yesterday morning before I left for work, my alarm didn’t go off, so I woke up late and dressed in 30 seconds and sprinted out the door. Then as I got to my car, he was standing right by the door, but I didn’t have time to pet him, so I rushed in my car and drove off to work and he didn’t get his morning pet from me. That just breaks my heart. I wished I could pet him just one more time. He was deaf and going partially blind, but he still loved life. He was one of the best dogs ever and my dad loved him so much along with the rest of our family. His sister, Missi girl, passed away last year, so it’s comforting to know that they are together again. I am so glad I made that goal to pet him every time though. I would have felt even worse if I hadn’t done that.
I was able to get off early yesterday from work and we buried him and reminessed about all the good times we had with him. His body was still nice and warm and I got to pet him one last time. He looked so peaceful. My mom and I laid him in the hole we dug and my dad did the honors of filling the hole. It was very emotional for him. As he finished filling the hole he said “Missi was probably waiting for him with a bouquet of flowers”. It was a perfect note to end on. We love him and he will definitely be missed, but I’m glad they are together again. Now I need to start trying to forgive myself.

3 sweet words:
So Sad!!! I am sorry you had this very traumatic experience. Mae Tae (my beautiful little sheltie) died quite unexpectedly last year on Feb 1. I completely understand how devastating it feels.
I know I am so sad too. I am feeling a lot better now though. The thing that kills me is that it was my fault. That's what made it hard for me to get over it, but I'm starting to forgive myself.
Oh my goodness chandra, I'm so sorry. that is so heartbreaking. your little doggies are so little i was always so scared of that when ever i was leaving your house. love you.
Post a Comment